Skip to content

CapMan to buy Design-Talo


CapMan Press Release 20 January 2011 9.10 a.m. EET

CapMan to buy Design-Talo


Funds managed by CapMan have agreed to buy a majority holding in Pohjolan Design-Talo Oy, a designer and producer of wood-framed prefabricated houses, from the Ruukki Group for approx. €76 million. Following the acquisition funds managed by CapMan will have an approx. 80% stake in the company and management will own the remaining approx. 20%. The acquisition is intended to strengthen Design-Talo’s position on the Finnish market.


Founded in 1990, Design-Talo produces turnkey, wood-framed houses for the Finnish market. The company has grown faster than the industry generally and became the market leader in its sector in 2010. Design-Talo recorded net sales of some €33 million between January and September 2010 and employs around 150 people.


“Design-Talo has been a pioneer in turnkey prefabricated houses in Finland. The company has developed its business and product range very strongly over the years to meet consumers’ demands. Design-Talo also has a very strong business philosophy, which we believe gives it good potential to grow its market share in family homes, terraced housing, and summer homes,” says CapMan Senior Partner, Tuomo Raasio.


CapMan is a significant investor in the CapMan Buyout IX and CapMan Mezzanine V funds, which are making the investment. The transaction is subject to e.g. the approval of the competition authorities, and is expected to be closed in February 2011.


Further information:
Tuomo Raasio, Senior Partner, CapMan Buyout, tel. +358 (0)207 207 505 or +358 (0)400 405 682
Thomas Hoyer, CFO, Ruukki Group, tel. +358 (0)45 6700 491



CapMan is one of the leading alternative asset managers in the Nordic countries and Russia and manages private equity funds with approximately EUR 3.6 billion in total capital. CapMan has six investment areas (CapMan Buyout, CapMan Technology, CapMan Life Science, CapMan Russia, CapMan Public Market and CapMan Real Estate), and each of them has a dedicated team and funds. Altogether CapMan employs approximately 150 people in Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo, Moscow and Luxembourg. CapMan was established in 1989 and its B shares are listed on the Helsinki Stock Exchange since 2001.


Design-Talo produces turnkey, wood-framed houses for Finnish home-buyers and is one of the pioneers and most significant players in the field. The company designs its houses in Oulunsalo in northern Finland and currently offers a wide range of designs to suit different tastes from the more traditional to the more modern.